Patients often ask…what happens the day of your LASIK procedure?
Our LASIK surgery center is now located right in our office!
When you arrive for your surgery, you will be taken back to an exam room. Your family member or friend can stay with you while we review your paperwork, medications and post-op instructions – it’s always good to have an extra pair of ears listening while we go over details! The total time is usually under 1 hour.
Next, we get you ready for surgery. We apply a series of eye drops and review what happens in the laser suite. During the procedure, Dr. Moran explains each step of the way, so you know what to expect.
In the LASIK Suite
- The team makes you comfortable on the surgery bed. Your head rests on a horseshoe shaped pillow.
- We place a patch on your left eye.
- Then, your right eye is held open with a lid holder (no need to worry about blinking during the procedure!).
- Dr. Moran creates a flap using the Intralase laser. You will feel some pressure as he applies a ring on your eye, before the laser is applied. Your vision will go dark for a few seconds as he creates the flap. In just a few seconds, the flap is done! Your vision comes right back after the ring is removed.
- Next, he lifts the flap and centers your eye under the Visx laser.
- The laser treatment is applied. It is painless…all you need to do is look at a yellow light while the laser is working.
- Then, he smoothes the flap back into place and the lid holder is removed. The right eye is done!
- Dr. Moran repeats the procedure in the left eye.
When you enter the LASIK room, Dr. Moran, his surgical assistant, and the laser engineer are waiting for you. They give you a LASIK buddy to hold…he’s a little bit of comfort that goes a long way to making you feel secure!
After about 15-20 minutes, Dr. Moran walks you out of the LASIK room, and checks your eyes in the exam chair. We put drops in your eyes before you head home, and review the post-op instructions again. Once you put on your sunglasses, you are good to go.
WHEN YOU GO HOME:
The day of your surgery, it is important to keep both eyes closed as much as possible. We give you sunglasses to wear home, so you can open your eyes to walk to the car. Close your eyes for the ride home, but you can open them again to walk into your house.
Put on your eye shield as soon as you arrive at home. Then it is time to rest with your eyes closed. Listen to music, an audiobook, or podcast…or just go to sleep. The eye shields should be worn for sleeping for the next 7 days, so that you don’t accidentally touch or rub your eyes.
If you have questions once you are home, call us! We always have someone on call to answer our patients concerns.
WHAT OUR PATIENTS SAY
Overwhelmingly, our patients comment about how fast the procedure was…and how easy! We most commonly hear, “That was so much easier than I expected, why did I wait so long!?!”
Interested in LASIK? Come in for a free consultation to find out if LASIK is right for you. Click to find out what happens at your LASIK Consult