Cocoons Fit-Over Eyewear
Moran Eye Associates now offers Cocoons Eyewear, our doctors’ choice for professional-grade fitover sunglasses. Designed specifically to fit over your prescription glasses, these lightweight sunglasses come in a variety of tints, styles and sizes to fit your vision needs. Stop in our office to see for yourself!
The unique design of Cocoons isolates your eyes from the elements, keeping you free from glare, harmful UV rays, and fluctuating light conditions. These lenses and the frames work together to keep your eyes protected.
Eliminates glare for people with normal vision and low vision.
These polarized glasses offer UV400 protection, scratch resistant technology, and a one-year warranty. If glare is a problem, polarized lenses provide a significant reduction in glare compared to regular tinted sunglasses. Most sunglasses sold at the store are not polarized unless specifically indicated.
Cocoons are designed to reduce glare and to enhance vision. The specialized color options were developed to target different issues. We recommend that you try on the different lens types to see what works best for you.
- Gray: for natural color definition and general daily use. Reduces light sensitivity while eliminating reflected surface glare.
- Amber: filters scattered blue light to increase contrast and provide improved depth perception in varying lights conditions. Amber is the preferred color for driving.
- Copper: filters scattered blue light and minimizes color distortion to deliver enhanced contrast and color definition
- Yellow: ideal for low light conditions. Maximizes contrast for improved definition and depth perception while eliminating glare. Best in dusk and dawn light, but not the best option for general daily use.
- Blue Mirror: maximizes glare elimination and filters additional blue light for improved contrast while delivering true color definition.
Recommended for Nighttime Driving – Twilight Lenses
Nighttime driving has unique vision issues, due to glare from headlights and reduced available light. Cocoons have developed a special Twilight lens that we recommend. These specialty Twilight lenses help to solve night driving issues because of their anti-reflective coating.
Dr. Moran explains the benefits of the Twilight lenses, “The key to better nighttime vision is anti-reflective coating. Although yellow and amber lenses help with contrast and clarity, they reduce the available light, which can make it hard to see well when you are driving. You have to balance the benefit of increased contrast with the reduction in brightness. Polarized lenses work well in the natural daylight, but don’t help with artificial lights from headlights and streetlights at night. Additionally, polarized lenses cut out 50% of light, which is counterproductive in the dark.”
The Twilight lens system blocks 100% of harmful UV light and 60% or more of harmful High Energy Visible (HEV) blue light while providing 93% overall visible light transmission. The unique filtering properties of these HEV filters effectively reduce scattered blue light and improve contrast without compromising overall light transmission. The lens system is protected by a one-year scratch resistance warranty and includes an anti-reflective coating to minimize glare and halos created by artificial light sources.
Help for patients who have heightened photophobia (light sensitivity).
Low-vision patients may benefit from a different colored tints to give them the best acuity. Sometimes, the tint correlates with specific medical conditions, but most of the time, it is a matter of personal preference. All of these lenses reduce glare and heighten contrast, which is important for low-vision patients. Additional color options include.
- Boysenberry (pink): reduces glare and heightens contrast. Blocks 90% of blue light.
- Hazelnut (brown:) reduces glare and heightens contrast. Blocks 98% of blue light.
- Orange: enhances contrast by intensifying the background to improve object definition and clarity. Blocks 100% of blue light.
- Lemon (yellow): enhances contrast and visual acuity in low light conditions. Blocks 40% of blue light.
Whatever your vision needs, we can help you to see your best. We offer the latest technology to help keep your eyes healthy and to protect your vision for years to come.
Call or text us at 610-628-2022 for more information on enhancing your vision. If you’d like to schedule a visit, just click to request an appointment.